Hemp and Energy
In today’s article, we explore the connection between hemp and energy — one of the most important current global issues. Nowadays, the number of fossil fuels is variable worldwide, and sometimes tremendous sacrifices are made to obtain the necessary fuel. We will also review the role hemp may play in relation to energy today.
Energy is one of the hottest topics and challenges facing humanity these days. Particularly, the problems evoked by obtaining and unsafe use of resources are global and may be catastrophic. For example, the area of primary forest has decreased worldwide by more than 80 million hectares since 1990. Additionally, in 2010, the Gulf of Mexico oil spill had a dramatic effect on local flora and fauna. Don’t forget the nuclear power that has potentially catastrophic consequences for decades to come. The danger of nuclear power showed in two catastrophic disasters in Chernobyl in 1986 and Fukushima in 2011.
Hemp and environment
First of all, let’s highlight that hemp is a natural element of the cannabis sativa plant grown for industrial purposes only. Various studies, experiments and researches have shown some potential benefits of such strain. They are as follows:
- First, hemp is a natural and non-toxic material.
- During the growth process, the hemp crop requires very small amounts of or no pesticides, herbicides and fungicides.
- Hemp can remove toxins and radioactive materials from the air and soil where it grows.
- Hemp decreases the long-term atmospheric build-up of carbon dioxide.
- Hemp promotes forest conservation.
To get more information about the possible environmental effects of hemp, please follow these articles on hemp and building materials, plastics and vehicles. Don’t miss one of our latest articles on hemp fabric and the environment.
Does hemp work for energy?
Turning hemp into energy has excited humans for centuries. The known fact is a famous hemp car by Henry Ford. According to some sources, more than a century earlier, in 1863, Abraham Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation under hemp oil lamp, but this information needs to be checked carefully. Below we will look at different possible energy uses of hemp.
- Hemp may be used in batteries. Compared with the lithium battery, it showed better performance during the experiment.
- Another possible application of hemp is a base for hemp biodiesel made from hemp seed oil in any conventional diesel engine. The research has shown that the conversion rate of hemp oil into biodiesel reaches 97%. Generally, it shows a more environmentally friendly impact compared with fossil diesel.
- Finally, hemp can be used to produce biogas. According to the source, biogas production from hemp could compete with production from maize.
This article shows the importance of energy issues and the contribution hemp can make to obtain the energy and make it more potentially beneficial for the environment. The question remains whether hemp will replace the main types of energy. We just have to wait and see what happens. If you would like to get more interesting and curious information on CBD and CBD-related topics, don’t hesitate to contact our team of professionals. We are always ready to help you.